Thursday, March 21, 2013

New Daily Oil Painting Sunset at Bolivar Flats



Sunset, Bolivar Flats
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Oil Primed Linen Panel
5" x 7"
2013
Click here to purchase this painting.

Anyone who knows me at all knows I'm a sucker for a good sunset, and sunsets at the beach are always spectacular.  Even without much cloud cover the sky blazes with orange, green, pink, and yellow hues in a seemingly endless range of tints. 

This is a view along Bolivar Flats looking towards Galveston Island.  You can barely see the silohuete of the high rise hotels on the island.  One of my favorite things about these small, quick daily paintings is the freedom to explore and experiment. Here I played up the bright, pastel hues in the sky and the overall golden high key color scheme.

I rather enjoy the quickness of the brushwork in this painting.  This particular evening at the beach was quite windy and the water was pretty choppy.  I tried to mimic the action of the wind and waves with my brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...