Friday, March 15, 2013

Hot Day at the Lake Daily Paintworks Auction (and a quick nod to visual rhythm)

Hot Day at the Lake
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
8" x 10"

Click HERE to bid on this painting.


Another of the small paintings I did of Lake Mineral Wells, TX.  I think this was the second in the series I painted and has always been one of my favorites.  The musician in me loves rhythm, so I've always found myself drawn to the verticals of tall grasses and trees.  Here the colorful flowering reeds along the shore make a quick and lively staccato rhythm against the calmer waters and simplified masses in the distance.  I enjoyed pushing the color harmony, particularly the soft yellow against blue in the background and the pop of the red against green in the foreground.  I really wanted to capture the intense warmth of the bright light on a summer morning in Texas.  I'd love to find this painting a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...