Thursday, February 13, 2014

New Daily Oil Paiting "Red Flyer"



Red Flyer
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Oil Primed Linen Panel
5" x 7"
2014

Click here to purchase this painting.


One of the nice things about doing so many small paintings is the freedom it allows for exploring subjects and techniques that I might not otherwise do in my larger studio work.

This old red wagon sits out front of a friends' home.  She has a beautiful place on a nice stretch of land.  I've been out there a few times and have always been so interested in the great little pond with a small pier and a lovely arched bridge that I never even noticed the old wagon.  That's what I like about artists, we're all so observant, right?  Ha!

Anyway, her home is the meeting place for the Santa's Children charity toy drive.  I've been privileged to help out the past couple of years.  I've donated paintings for their auction to raise money, helped wrap presents, and this year I was able to go on the toy run and help deliver the presents.  A dozen or more vehicles meet up at her place for a caravan of toys.  It's really an incredible and worthwhile event. 

When I was out there this past Christmas, I took lots of pictures including plenty of the pond as always, but also several of this old carriage.  When I was going through some of my files yesterday looking for some inspiration this red flyer leaped out at me.

This is a small 5" x 7" oil painting and presented quite a few challenges along the way, particularly all the small, intricate areas of negative space between the spokes, seat, and the fence in the background.  I loved playing the various red inflected hues of the wagon against the green grass, and was surprised to find so many shifts and blue tints in parts of the wagon.  The field was full of fallen leaves sporting the deep red tones of fall, and scattering a few reds, maroons and pinks throughout the  foreground and some lighter tints in the background really helped tie the whole painting together. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...