Saturday, February 1, 2014

Clouds at Dawn - New Daily Oil Painting


Clouds at Dawn
Mark Nesmith
Oil on canvas on panel
8" x 10"
2014
Click here to buy this painting.

Here are a few shots of this painting in progress.  I started with a loose sketch outlining the major areas of the composition and the strong shadows and contrasts. From there I started laying in the darker parts of the clouds and sky. 




Once I had the sky well underway I started on the dark masses of the woods on the right hand side, then gradually worked my way through the line of trees
in the distance.





With the shadows in the woods established, I focused on the splash of fall reds in the foliage.


Finally I quickly brush in the yellow and orange field before adding a few brighter highlights to the clouds.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...