Tuesday, February 11, 2014

New Daily Oil Painting "Afternoon at Cypress Lake"

Afternoon at Cypress Lake
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
8" x 10"
2014

Click here to purchase this painting.





The apartments I live in aren't fancy. They're an older complex and don't have the modern amenities and upscale look of newer complexes in the area, but I love my place because it's situated outside of the city and has acres of land to explore.


One of my favorite spots is Cypress Lake. They call it a lake but it's really just a decent sized horse shoe shaped pond. Despite its' name, there aren't any cypress trees to be found, but the bank is lined with tall pines.


I often visit the pond at sunrise or sunset to catch the brilliant sky filtered through the pines and the rhythmic rippled reflections on the water, but this particular painting is from a quiet, sunny afternoon. I painted this rather quickly and used a single stiff bristle brush, keeping the details to a minimum and focusing on the silhouetted mass of pine trees against the sky.


I've started a few larger paintings of Cypress Lake and have a series in mind.  It's quite a luxury to have such a scenic and inspiring location just a few hundred yards from my door.  I think I'll manage to do a little plein air painting here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...