Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Caprock Canyon - NEW Southwest Daily Painting featuring the Vivid Orange Caprock Bluff Against Clear Blue Sky by Mark Nesmith


Caprock Canyon
By Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
12” X 16”
2020

CLICK to bid in the auction or buy it now.



It’s been a few years since I’ve made it out West, but lately I’ve been daydreaming about Caprock Canyon. Caprock is a beautiful state park in West Texas.  Ever since I went camping there with my friend Jon I’ve had the vivid red rock formations etched in my mind. I took hundred of photos as we hiked the rugged terrain.  Recently as I was cleaning up my external hard drive I came across the unedited RAW images and once again found new inspiration.

I began this 12” X 16” oil painting Monday. By the afternoon the canvas was covered and I decided to leave it for the night. This morning I came in and realized I hated it. I took a palette knife and scraped everything off. People often think I’m crazy when they see me erasing an entire painting like this, but sometimes you have to destroy in order to create. The second time around the painting felt much better. I stayed after work a couple of hours and finished it up the same day.

Visit www.marknesmith.com to view more of my art and like and follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...