Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Original Oil Painting "Early Morning at Caprock Canyon"

"Early Morning at Caprock Canyon"
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
12" x 24"
2011
Click here to purchase this painting.

This is one of the larger paintings I completed after camping at Caprock Canyon in West Texas with a friend. I love the wide panoramic view of the bluff to the left and the rise of the hills in the distance.  During the early morning the sunlight rakes across the valley and adds a warm glow to the rock walls.  They really seem to come alive with the sunrise!
This painting was not one of my quicker daily paintings and should have gone to the gallery, but I was a little over zealous with the palette knife and managed to put a small hole in the canvas while scraping off the lower left area to repaint.  I patched the hole with canvas, primed and gessoed the area, and then repainted the foreground.  I've held onto this canvas for six months and the repair is sound and not really noticeable, but rather than risk the higher retail pricing at a gallery I've decided to just find it a good home here.  Here's a chance to own a larger painting for a fraction of the gallery pricing!    
Please visit http://www.marknesmith.com/ to view more of my work and be sure to check out my other auctions.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...