Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Original Oil Painting "Caprock Bluff" (Day 6 of my Spring Cleaning Clearance)


"Caprock Bluff"
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
12" x 12"
2011
Click here to purchase this painting (starting bid just $65.00.)
 Here's a little larger painting from the small series I completed after camping at Caprock Canyon two summers ago.  It's been hanging in my living for most of the year, but I think it deserves a better home! I made alot of pastels and several oil paintings of the Canyons and hope to go back to the canyons for another camping trip soon, this time with my kids.  There's something inately majestic about the rustic reds and oranges of the cliff faces that rise towards the sky there.  This painting is 12" square, a format I've used several times in the past year.  I used great big, juicy brushtrokes of paint and tried to use them like building blocks literally piecing the bluff together stone by stone.  It was a little like playing Tetris with paint.  I think this painting does a pretty good job of capturing the dry, scorching heat of Caprock in the summer.  The afternoons were well over 100 degrees and there were no clouds in the sky.  You'd have to be tough indeed to thrive in the desert environment for more than a short vacation. 

Please visit http://www.marknesmith.com/ to view more of my work and be sure to check out the rest of my auctions.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...