Tuesday, September 22, 2015

New 12" x 12" oil painting "Miss Kim" from the Stingaree Marina at Crystal Beach, TX

"Miss Kim"
by Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
12" x 12"
2015

Click here to purchase this painting.

A little over a year ago my sweetheart Elizabeth was manager of the Down Under Bar & Grill at the Stingaree at Crystal Beach. I was fortunate enough to spend lots of time out at Bolivar that summer. The Stingaree Restaurant and marina is a must see whenever you're at Crystal Beach. They've got good food, but what really brings me back are the sights and sounds of the marina.

The Miss Kim is always docked just in front of the Down Under (the bar and grill underneath the Stingaree). I've painted her once before at dusk. Here I've tried to capture the incredible reflection she casts at sunset. I worked on this off and on for several days this week and finished this afternoon. It's always a challenge balancing the hard edges and details necessary to be convincing with a subject like this with my love of lose paint and vibrant color, but I'm pretty happy with the result. It makes want to sit back with a cold Shiner Bock and enjoy the gentle breeze of a sunset at the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...