Saturday, May 10, 2014

New daily oil painting "Distant Rain"

Distant Rain
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Oil Primed Linen Panel
5" x 7"
2014

Click here to purchase this painting.




Rain has been a bit of a scarce commodity around SE Texas for most of the past year or more.  I've always loved the rain.  I love the smell and the sound, but most of all I love the strange, eerie quality the light can take on with dark clouds overhead.


While out on my bike for a ride, the sunny day I left the house in suddenly turned dark and storm clouds took over the distance.  They trailed rain as they swept along, drenching some areas and seeming to leave other spots untouched and dry.  I made a mental image of the scene and recreated it as best I could. 


I'd love to devise some system for painting outdoors in the rain, maybe a canopy or easy up tent would work.  Maybe even just a large umbrella and some anchors for the easel.  I've often painted the storm clouds with the promise of rain, but I think this is the first time I've ever tried to capture the rainfall as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...