Friday, May 9, 2014

Daily oil painting "White Rose"

White Rose
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Gessoed Panel
10" x 8"
2013


Click here to purchase this painting.

I painted this rose back in October of 2013.  I had taken a trip with my new girlfriend not long before for the memorial service for her father.  We were in Mississippi at his home and surrounded by her family who I was meeting for the very first time.  What could have been a very somber occasion turned into a celebration of life.  It was amazing to be there and feel the spirit and love.


There was a flower garden in front of the porch filled with roses.  There were beautiful, full blooms of red and white flowers.  I took lots of pictures that weekend, and I also did a few quick pencil drawings in a small sketchbook I brought with me.


Later back in Beaumont I painted this white rose from her father's garden.  I loved all the subtle shifts of green and violet I discovered reflected in the white petals, and the deep reds and browns of the porch and ground contrasted beautifully with the soft tints of the rose.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...