Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pink Lady - New Daily Oil Painting of a Water Lily


 
Pink Lady
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Gessoed Panel
8" x 8"
2013
Click here to purchase this painting.
 I've always thought water lillies are beautiful and had the urge to paint them, but until a couple of years ago I wouldn't let myself. I guess Monet's shadow just loomed too large. I first started painting lillies while I lived in Seagoville. Cedar Creek Lake near Mabank was only 45 minutes or so away and was blanketed in these aquatic plants. After moving back to Southeast Texas I discovered a small canal in Hamshire that is home to a beautiful display of lillies.  I've painted them a few times, but most recently I completed a couple of larger charcoal drawings that are just heightened with light touches of pastel. This small 8" x 8" oil painting on hardboard is derived from one of those drawings. I think the dark blue sky reflected in the water and the deep greens of the pads make a good contrast to the soft pink and whites of the Lily bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...