Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pencil drawing for new daily painting of an alligator


Since moving back to SE Texas, I've had some ideas floating around in the back of my mind about incorporating more regional aspects in my painting. I've always been attracted to the Big Thicket pinewoods and the bayous and swamps of the area. 

A few nights ago my friend and I went for a walk with her dogs. The apartments where we live are on a lot of land with some woods and a canal along the back. While we were walking we heard what sounded like a gator's distinct groan. 

This morning I had that gator on my mind and made this quick pencil drawing on a 5" x 7" canvas board for a small oil paint study today. I have a lot of images and ideas about the distinct landscape and habitat of Southeast Texas swirling around in my head, kind of a primordial ooze. Maybe this will be the start of fleshing those ideas out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...