Thursday, August 4, 2011

Caprock Canyon Pastel


Caprock Pastel, originally uploaded by Mark Nesmith.

Here's a small pastel of Caprock Canyon. I'm doing a few more pastels these days. The dryer feel of pastels seems appropriate for the canyon, and the reds and earth tones in pastel are so vivid. I think when I return to oils to paint Caprock again, I'm going to work on a larger scale. I've been doing a few larger pieces lately (Water Lillies at Cedar Creek Lake and some more images of Lake Mineral Wells) and I think the vast expanses of the canyons kind of scream for a larger size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...