Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer at Caprock Canyon State Park


Caprock Bluff, originally uploaded by Mark Nesmith.
Here's one of my recent paintings of Caprock Canyon. This one is 12" by 12" square, and is oil paint on canvas.  It's a view from one of the hot, summer days I spent camping there last summer with my friend Jon. For most of our time there the skies were clear and empty, so there was literally no escape from the sun other than our tent!

This was painted fairly quickly so the brush work is very loose. I tried to let the brush strokes themselves take the form of the rock formations. There's already so much color in the canyons that I've restrained myself from embellishing too much, trying to concentrate instead on capturing the hot, dry atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...