Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New pastel self-portrait finished

Self Portrait
Mark Nesmith
Pastel on Paper
8" x 10"
2013
I spent some time this morning finishing my new pastel self-portrait. I was pretty happy with the start yesterday. After an initial pencil drawing I started adding a layer of color with conte hard pastels, then gave the whole drawing a light spray of fixative. Today I pulled out my Richeson and Rembrandt soft pastels and used a combination of scumbling and hatching to add depth to the color and unify areas. Overall I'm pretty satisfied and think I was able to capture a good likeness. Whether or not looking like me is a good thing isn't for me to say LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...