Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 2 of working on my new painting (with a nod to J.M.W. Turner)

I managed to put in a couple of hours at the easel after work yesterday and started to lay in the rest of the sky area beneath the clouds and the dark mass of the tree line at the bottom. This canvas measures around 3' by 4' so I'm taking my time. Slow and steady wins the race.

I've always loved paintings of clouds and storms, but I often think people resort too much to shades of grey when picturing rain. I find the light during a summer afternoon thunderstorm to be vibrant and have an erie luminescent glow. I think J.M.W. Turner was perhaps the best at depicting storms. His often seemed almost completely abstract, made up of radiant swirls of color. Somehow he still managed to capture the threat and foreboding atmosphere at the same time. I'm hoping to capture a bit of those qualities in this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...