Thursday, October 6, 2011

Nightfall at Lake Mineral Wells

"Nightfall at Lake Mineral Wells"
Mark Nesmith
Oil on Canvas
10" x 8"
2011
Click here to bid on this painting.

Today's daily painting is a view across the reeds by the spillway at Lake Mineral Wells.  Across the lake the sun has just gone down behind the horizon leaving a pinkish afterglow.  This 10" x 8" oil painting on canvas was painted alla prima and fairly quickly.  The paint is a bit thicker and jucier than I've been using lately.  I originally intended to go back and work to a slightly higher finish, but after stepping back it seemed to capture the fleeting moments of glowing light before nightfall perfectly so I left it alone.  I guess this rounds out a week of sunsets.  I'll be working on a couple of larger paintings this weekend, and after the brilliant display of sunrises we've had this week I think I'll have to paint a few images of dawn as well.

1 comment:

  1. Nice usage of a limited complimentary palette. Sometimes less is more, well done.

    ReplyDelete

Unexpected Beauty in a Roadside Ditch - NEW Water Lily Painting in Progress by Mark Nesmith

Here’s the view from my easel today. I drew up a couple of large views or water lilies from the drainage ditch past Winnie on the way to ...